August 27, 2009

AC Milan Defender Alessandro Nesta Rules Out Italy Return


The 33-year-old will not come back on the international scene...

AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta has put rumours of his potential return to the Italy setup under coach Marcello Lippi to rest, by closing the door on the possibility.“When I decided to quit the national team they still would have called me, but I had to make a choice," he was quoted as saying by ANSA. “After the type of career I have had, with all the injuries, I thought I would not be able to work with both my club and national team.”The centre-back, who was widely considered the world’s best defender earlier in his career, has said that despite his return to fitness he will stick with his decision to forego international football. “So to be fair to the coach and the other Azzurri players I will not speak of the national team anymore. It is a prospect that is closed,” he added. The former Lazio captain featured for Italy from 1996-2006 and became a stalwart in defence, but retired after the Azzurri’s victorious World Cup campaign in 2006, which he missed a majority of due to injury. The player spent almost the whole 2008-09 season on the sidelines, but has seemingly recovered and put in a fine performance for the Rossoneri against Siena this past weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment